Transcript of the description for Preston from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
PRESTON, a village, 3 miles N.E. from Weymouth, on the main road from that town to Wareham. The Church is an ancient building, having a nave, south aisle and chancel, surmounted by a lofty tower, the living is a vicarage; here are a Wesleyan Chapel and a Free School. The parish, which contains many excellent houses, comprises with the chapelry or liberty of Sutton Poyntz, 3000 acres, and had in 1841, 672 inhabitants.
All names marked thus * are at Sutton Poyntz.
Baker Rev. Talbot H.B. Vicarage
Kettle Mrs. Charborough lodge
Pope John Allen, esq.
Saunders John, esq. Southdown cottage
Scutt Mr. Robert
Willshire Messrs, James & Thomas
*Brett Chas. butcher
Fooks John, blacksmith
*Fooks Thomas, blacksmith
*Galpin Stephen, parish clerk
Gill Charles, farmer, Wyke Oliver
*Hill Geo. miller, Sutton mills
*Keynes Henry, baker & grocer
Lowman William, carpenter
*Miller Thomas, carpenter
Plowman James, 'Ship Inn'
*Plowman John, stonemason
Plowman Lot, painter & glazier
Pooss Thomas, farmer
*Pope John Allen, farmer
*Puckett & Daw, shoemakers
Scutt John, farmer
*Spicer William, miller
*Squibb Robert, carpenter
*Thomas John, butcher
*Wallis Josiah, farmer, Northdown
Wallis, Josias, farmer
*Wallis Thos. baker & grocer
Watts Elizabeth, Mary & Jane, ladies boarding school
Letters come by way of Weymouth