Transcript of the description for Osmington from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

OSMINGTON, a village on the road between Weymouth and Wareham, 4 miles N.E. from the former, it contains many genteel houses. The church, a handsome edifice, consisting of a nave and two aisles, surmounted by a tower, was entirely rebuilt, excepting the tower, a few years since. Here is a National school. At Osmington mills about one mile south is a coast guard station. The parish contained in 1841, 460 inhabitants. Post Office at William Hamilton's. Letters arrive at 9 a.m. and are despatched at 4 p.m.

Cree John, esq. Osmington lodge
Grasett the Misses
Philipps Rev. Jas. Evans, Vicarage
Wood Edward Atkyns, esq. Osmington house
Andrews Rd. farmer, Upton
Champ James, 'Crown,' Osmington Mills
Clark Richard, grocery dealer
Fancy Wm baker and grocer
Fooks John, boot and shoemaker
Fooks Thomas, dairyman
Gill Robt. farmer, Netherton
Hamilton William, parish clerk Kerslake Joseph, farmer
Miller Thoms, carpenter
National School, Foot Emma, mistress
Notley John, 'Plough'
Player John, shoemaker
Roberts Lieut. Henry, Coast-guard station
Scriven Charles, bricklayer
Scriven Lot, stonemason
Spicer Stephen, carpenter
Stickland Robt. boot & shoemaker
Voss William, blacksmith
Willshire George, farmer