Transcript of the description for Milton Abbas from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
MILTON ABBAS, a village 7 miles W.S W. from Blandford Forum. The Church (St. Mary and St. Sampson) is a neat building the living of which is a vicarage. King Athelstan, to expiate the murder of his brother Edwin, about 993, built here an abbey of the Benedictine order. In the time of Henry VIII., William, the then abbot, founded and endowed a school; it is now removed to Blandford. The site of this monastery is now occupied by Milton Abbey, a splendid pile of buildings, designed by Sir Wm. Chambers. This parish had in 1841, 833 inhabitants. Post Office, at John Tuffin's. Letters arrive at 9 a.m. and are despatched at 4 p.m.
Maxwell Rev. Geo. M.A. incumbent of Whitchurch
Portarlington Earl of, Milton Abbey
Roberts Rev. Richard, M.A., (vicar)
Bertie David, 'Portarlington Arms'
Cadie Thomas, carpenter, &c
Caines Christopher, farmer
Cross William, bricklayer
Dyer Francis, earthenware dealer
Eaton Henry, tailor
Fookes Robert, brewer & maltster
Guy James, blacksmith
Guy Richard, parish constable
Hawkins Maria, (Mrs.) grocer, &c.
House John, farmer
Ingram Robert, farmer
Jacob John, carpenter, &c.
Jeffery Wm. beer retailer & grocer
Jerrard Samuel, farmer
Keynes John, farmer
Keynes Thomas, butcher
Kiddle Honor, grocery, &c. dealer
Morey Frances (Mrs.) grocer, &c.
Mitchell James, blacksmith
Morey James, stonemason
Morey Jonathan, grocer & bricklayer
National School, Charles Bowmater, master
Rogers John, farmer
Rogers Joseph, boot & shoemaker
Sanders Thomas, blacksmith
Smith Harriett (Mrs.) grocer &c.
Smith John William, 'King's Arm's'
Tett John, farmer
Tuffin John, boot & shoemaker
Webber Jacob, miller
CARRIER to Dorchester, Frizle, wed. & sat. & to Blandford, tues. & thurs.