Transcript of the description for Melbury Sampford from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
MELBURY SAMPFORD, a village 6½ miles W.N.W. from Cerne, and 7. S. from Yeovil. The church is ancient, and is built in the decorated style; some of the windows are of stained glass. Living, a rectory annexed to that of Melbury Osmond. The parish comprises 868 acres and had in 1841, a population of 43.
Ilchester the Right Hon. the Earl of, Melbury house
Guppy Robert, farmer
Strong George, farmer
Whittle Henry, dairyman