Transcript of the description for Melbury Abbas from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

MELBURY ABBAS, a village 2½ miles S. from Shaftesbury, and 10 N. from Blandford. The church is an antique structure, having a tower covered with ivy, the living is a rectory. Near the church is a spacious school where children are instructed on the Pestalozzian system. The parish comprises 2,140 acres, and had in 1841, 390 persons.

Glyn Rev. Thomas Hen. (rector)
Blanchard John, farmer
Blanchard Thomas, farmer, Frith
Brockway John, stonemason
Brockway Mary, grocery, &c. dealer
Brown Robert, boot & shoemaker
Carter Henry, farmer
Dibben Isaac, farmer, Buttons
Foot Samuel, farmer
Harding Richard, farmer
Hayter Robert, wheelwright
Hoare David, boot and shoemaker
Miles Samuel and Eli, farmers and maltsters
Miles Richard, farmer
Miles Samuel, miller and maltster
Sims Thos. carpenter and wheeler
Spinney Robert, blacksmith
Steel Stephen, 'Red Lion'
Woodford Charles, dairyman
Young William, farmer