Transcript of the description for Langton Matravers from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
LANGTON MATRAVERS, a village, near the English Channel, about 3 miles S.E. from Corfe Castle. The living is a rectory; there is a place of worship for Baptists and a National School. The parish comprises 3400 acres, and contained in 1841 a population of 762. Post Office, at Robert Hindcock's, Letters arrive at 7 a.m. and are despatched at 9 a.m. and 7 30 p.m.
Austin Rev. John H. (curate) Rectory
Davies Rev. David, B.A. Cambria cottage
Serrell Miss Harriet, Dunford hall
Serrell Sheffield, esq. Leeson
Ball Henry, saddler
Ball Thomas, bricklayer
Barnes Charles, 'Ship Inn'
Chinchen James, farmer & maltster
Chipp Robert, bailiff to S. Serrell, esq. Dunford farm
Corben Alexander, stone merchant
Cull James, farmer, Wilkswood
Edmonds Geo. grocer, &c. Acton
Hayward Charles, parish clerk
Hindcock Robert, baker
Horlock Thomas, farmer, Knaves well farm
Ivory John, bailiff to B. Garland esq.
Jenkins Harry, farmer
Kearsley John, farmer, Coombs
Lander Edward, grocery dealer
Marsfield William, 'King's Arms'
Moss John, grocery, &c. dealer
Savage George, carpenter
Smith Aaron, beer retailer and blacksmith
Smith George, blacksmith
Smith James, grocer & draper
Talbott James, shoemaker
Wincott Edward, shoemaker
OMNIBUS to Wareham, daily at 9 a.m. & to Swanage at 7 30 p.m Sundays excepted