Transcript of the description for Langton Herring from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

LANGTON HERRING, a small village, on the channel 3 miles S.E. from Abbotsbury. The Church (St. Peter's) is a small building, having a nave, aisle and chancel, surmounted by a square tower. The living is a rectory. The parish comprises 883 acres, and the population in 1841 was 250.

Bartlett Mrs. Martha
Coles Lieut. jun. coast guard station
Trenow Rev. Frederick Joseph Cox, Rectory
Hounsell Abel, parish clerk
Hurden Thomas, baker & grocer
Hussey Charles, farmer
Kellaway Richard, farmer
Major Joseph, shoemaker
Mowlam John, beer retailer
Satchell Thomas, shoemaker
Whittle John, shoemaker
Whittle Thomas, shoemaker