Transcript of the description for Kimmeridge from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
KIMMERIDGE, a village, in the Isle of Purbeck, 3½ miles S.W. from Corfe Castle. Living a donative. The cliffs in this neighbourhood abound with a bituminous coal, which burns with a strong light, but emits so sulphureous a smell, that it is only used for heating ovens by the poor. The parish comprises about 1500 acres, all belonging to Col. Mansel, who is lord of the manor, and had in 1841, 154 inhabitants. Post Office, at Catherine Best's. Letters arrive at 7 a.m and are despatched at 6 p.m.
Cox Rev. Chas. M.A.
Mansel Col. John, Smedmore house
Smith Lieut. Edward, Coast Guard Station
Best Catherine, grocery dealer
Best Mary, beer retailer
Mayo George, farmer