Transcript of the description for Horton from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
HORTON, a village 4½ miles S.W. from Cranborne. The Church, built in no particular style, is a curious looking structure. Living a vicarage in the gift of the Earl of Shaftesbury. A Benedictine Abbey at one period flourished here. The parish comprises about 7000 acres, and had in 1841, 448 residents.
Case Rev. Thomas, B.A., (vicar)
Atkins Jas. farmer, miller & bone crusher, Stanbridge mills
Atkins Wm. farmer & maltster
Hart Ann, grocery dealer
Head Sarah, shoemaker
James Frederick, grocery &c. dealer
King Stephen, blacksmith
Lockyer Joseph, 'Horton Inn'
Lane James, farmer
Osbaldestone Thomas, carpenter
Pardy George, boot & shoemaker
Rickets John, shopkeeper
Sims Benjamin, blacksmith