Transcript of the description for Hook from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

HOOK, a village, 4 miles E. from Beaminster. The Church (St. Giles), is an antique building in the Gothic style, the living is a rectory. Previous to the battle of Sedgmoor, the unfortunate Duke of Monmouth refreshed his troops in this village. The parish comprises 1237 acres, and the population in 1841 was 268.

Bartlett Mr. Theophilus
Wallis Mr. William
Coombs Chas. flax & tow spinner
Cram Thomas, boot & shoemaker
Crofts John, miller & baker
Holt George, farmer
Legg Henry, farmer & carrier
Legg John, farmer
Legg John, 'Mason's Arms' and parish clerk, Knight in the bottom
Mintern James & Samuel, farmers & grocers
Mintern Jacob, baker and grocer
Rawlins John and Davis James, farmers
Silley John, gamekeeper
Studley John, dairyman
Tompkins Richard, dairyman

CARRIER to Bridport, Legg sat.