Transcript of the description for Hinton St Mary from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

HINTON St. Mary, a village 1 mile N. from Sturminster Newton. The Church (St. Mary) is a neat edifice, rebuilt in 1846. The living, a curacy, annexed to Iwerne-Minster, here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists and a National School. The parish comprises about 1080 acres and had in 1841 a population of 350.

Nicholl Rev. Chas. J. (curate)
Barter Mary Ann, grocer, &c.
Bicknell Henry, farmer
Hames Roger, farmer
Hames Mrs. Sarah
Hames Thomas, farmer
Hames Thos, parish clerk & farmer
Harris George, wheelwright
Harris Joseph, wheelwright
Hart Rosiana, beer retailer
Jeffery George, miller
Kerley Thomas, blacksmith
Langley Cordelia (Mrs.) grocer, &c.
Mitchell Daniel, 'White Horse'
Senior James, farmer
National school, Applin Joseph, master, Applin Sarah, mistress
Senior William, farmer
Seymour Henry, boot & shoemaker