Transcript of the description for East Stour from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

EAST STOUR, a village, 2 miles S. from Gillingham. A new church was built here upon the site of the old one in 1842, the expense was defrayed by a parish rate, aided by funds from the diocesan, (Salisbury) and the parliamentary grant; the living, a curacy, is united with that of Gillingham. The parish comprises 2130 acres, and had in 1841 a population of 554.

Barrow Rev. John, (curate)
Stacey Mrs. Sarah
White Mr. Joseph Bennett
Blackmore Thomas, farmer
Bridle George, blacksmith
Cross John, carpenter
Cross Stephen, cooper
Davis Robert, farmer
Dowding Henry, butter dealer
Edwards John, boot & shoemaker
Godwin Edward, farmer
Godwin Walter, farmer
Gray Francis, farmer
Hayter William, basket maker
Hedditch Elias, stonemason
Hiscock John, farmer
How Chas. farmer, Cold st. farm
Hunt John, farmer and miller
Kiddle James, blacksmith and wheelwright
Light Richard, farmer, Clay hill
Lodder John, blacksmith & beer retailer
Long Joseph, farmer
Parrett John, grocery, &c. dealer
Parrett Thomas, baker & farmer
Stone Charles, chairmaker
Stone Chas. jun. boot and shoemaker
Stone Silas, basket maker
Tucker George, grocery, &c. dealer
Ware George, farmer