Transcript of the description for Dewlish from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

DEWLISH, a village 10 miles S.W. from Blandford and 8 N.E. from Dorchester. The Church, an ancient structure, possesses a fine square tower, the living is a vicarage, united with that of Milborne St. Andrew; here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, and also a parochial school. A tesselated pavement and other Roman antiquities have been discovered here. The population of the parish was 389 in 1841.

Walmesley John, esq. Dewlish house
Alner John S. blacksmith
Barnett Joseph, grocer, &c.
Bartlett James, grocery dealer
Best Henry, bailiff
Coles George, boot & shoemaker
Crocker Christopher, bailiff
Cutler James, stonemason
Cutler James, baker
Drake John, gamekeeper
Maine George, parish clerk
Payne George, thatcher
Payne Joseph, thatcher
Ruggs George, miller and baker
Rogers Robert, farmer
Shave Samuel, tailor
Snelling Mary, milliner and dress maker
Squibb Joseph, brewer & baker
Symes Wm. brewer & maltster
Turner John, plumber and glazier
Vincent Frederick, carpenter
Vine Joseph, 'Royal Oak Inn'