Transcript of the description for Cheddington from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

CHEDDINGTON, a village stands upon a rising ground about 4½ miles N. from Beaminster. The church (St. James's) is a modern structure in the Elizabethan style, and the living is a rectory. The parish, in which the remains of a Roman camp are visible, comprises 760 acres and had in 1841, 194 inhabitants.

Cox Willjam Trevelyan, esg.
Cruttandan Rev. George Wm. M.A
Bartlett John, boot & shoemaker
Bartlett Wm. boot & shoemaker
Bishop George, thatcher
Fry Isaac, farmer
Gerrard George, dairyman
Ireland James, farmer
Keech William, dairyman
Mellish Isaac, dairyman
Sartin Isaac. blacksmith
Symes John, farmer
Symes William, farmer
Watts Wm. 'Wynyard's Gap Inn'