Transcript of the description for Charminster from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
CHARMINSTER, is a pleasant village 2 miles N.W. from Dorchester, it contains many genteel residences, among which is Woolveton Hall, the ancient seat of the Trenchard family. The church, a stone structure, has a fine square tower adorned with pinnacles, the interior of the sacred edifice contains some curious monuments enriched with elegant carvings. The living is a curacy united with Stratton. About 2 miles N.W. of the village is Forston House, now used for the County Lunatic Asylum; it was formerly the seat of the late Francis John Browne, esq. who generously presented it to the county for its present purpose. This establishment is fitted up for about 150 patients, and is under the able management of George Button, esq. M.D. The parish comprises 4000 acres, and about 700 inhabitants. Post Office at Robert Cosh's. Letters are delivered at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 7 p.m.
Button Geo. M.D., Forston house
Devenish Rev. Morgan
Dyer Thos. esq. East hill house
Hardy Mrs. Joseph
Henning James, esq. Woolveton
Kay William, esq. R.N.
Lock Mrs. Himalaya house
Tucker Rev. Chas. (perpetual curate)
Applin Joseph, 'Sun,' Burton
Atkins George, grocer & draper
Bow Elizabeth, grocer, &c.
Brooks James, 'Compasses'
Brake Jolin, & Marke William, farmers
Bunn John, farmer
Bunn Sarah, (Miss) grocer, &c.
Bunn Sophia, ladies' boarding and day school
Burge Samuel, farmer, Forston
Caines Richard, farmer & maltster, Burton
Chamen John, farmer, Hayden farm
Clark John, boot & shoemaker
Coats John, baker, grocer, &c.
Cosh Robt. parish clerk & boot & shoemaker
Cozens Geo. miller & baker Burton
Dewland Catherine, beer retailer
French John, miller
Gollop James, carpenter, &c.
Palmer John, butcher
Slade Josias, farmer
Strange James, farmer
Tizard Margt. & Son, blacksmiths