Transcript of the description for Charlton Marshall from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

CHARLTON MARSHALL, a village 2 miles S.E. from Blandford. The church in the early English style of architecture, was built in 1713, and the living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Spetisbury. The Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The parish comprises about 2000 acres, and had in 1841, 395 inhabitants. Post Office, at John Cross Matcham's, Letters arrive at 6 30 a.m, and are despatched at 6 30 p.m.

Bastard Thomas Horlock, esq.
Heatley Rev. Henry Davis, (curate)
Ball Richard, wheelwright
Cable George, farmer
Cadie Charles, tanner
Coffin Chas. boot & shoemaker
Compton Richard, bricklayer
Compton Robert, grocer, &c.
Eaton Jesse, boot & shoemaker
Foot Joseph, blacksmith
Foster William, farmer
Game Samuel, farmer
Hansworth Thomas, dairyman
Hopkins John, grocer, &c.
Knight Henry, bricklayer
Lane William, lime burner
Matcham John Cross, blacksmith
Palmer John, beer retailer
Robbins Geo. carpenter & beer retailer
Sampson William, farmer
Saunders George, farmer
Stacey Samuel John, carpenter