Transcript of the description for Canford Magna from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
CANFORD-MAGNA, a pleasant village on the Stour, 2 miles S.E. from Wimborne, here is the mansion of Sir J. J. Guest, Bart. and at Upton hard by is the seat of Sir Edward Doughty, Bart. The church, an antique structure, has a tower, which being mantled with ivy, gives it a truly venerable appearance; the living is a vicarage, patron, the lord of the manor, Sir J. J. Guest, bart. The parish comprising 5128 acres, and had in 1841, 3957 inhabitants, Post-office, at Margaret Wareham's. Letters arrive at 7 a.m. and are despatched at 7 p.m.
Doughty Sir Edward Tichborne, Bart. Upton house
Guest Sir Josiah John, Bart. M.P. & Lady Charlotte, Canford house
Hill John, esq. Oakley house
Patey George Edward, esq.
Ponsonby Hon. & Rev. Walter, Vicarage
Bailey Maria, 'Red Lion'
Budden William, 'Webb's Arms,' & brickmaker & bricklayer
Card Henry, parish clerk
Frampton James, farmer, Lake
Hayes Wm. Richd. farmer, Knighton
Holland Thomas, farmer
Hurd & Petty, farmers, Moretown
Meaby Thomas, baker & miller
Meaby William, farmer
Meader Henry, 'Willett's Arms'
Pearce Edmund, architect & surveyor
Pearce Joseph, farmer
Pyne John, land steward