Transcript of the description for Bridport from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

BRIDPORT, a seaport, parish, market town, and parliamentary borough, in the hundred of Whitchurch-Canonicorum and division of Bridport, having separate jurisdiction; distant 35 miles W.S.W. from London; 71 W. from Southampton; 30 S.E. from Taunton (where is a station on the Bristol & Exeter railway); 15 W. from Dorchester (at which town terminates the London and South Western railway;) 9 E. from Lyme Regis, and 6 S. from Beaminster.

The town of Bridport is pleasantly situated on a gentle rising, immediately above the confluence of the rivers Brit and Asker, which form the boundaries of the parish on the East, West and South and towards which there is a gradual descent. The river falls into the English Channel, about two miles below the town, where is situate the harbour, which admits ships of 250 tons burden.

To the Brit and the harbour or port, this town, which existed long before the Norman conquest, derived its name, and is noticed in Domesday-book as containing in the time of Edward the Confessor 120 houses, a priory for monks and a mint for coining silver money, convincing proofs of its early importance. Hutchins says: "The manor anciently belonged to the Crown, and was for several ages held of it by the burgesses in fee-farm." The earliest charter of which any memorial remains, bears date 37 Henry III. A.D. (1253). This was subsequently confirmed by Richard II., Henry VII., Edward VI. and Elizabeth. By a charter, bearing date 17, James I., greater privileges were granted to the town, and by another, 18, Charles II., a court of record and other immunities were conferred in addition, this was the last charter by which the town was governed; two others, granted by James II., having never been acted on. By a charter, bearing date 22nd June, 23rd, Edward I. (1295) Bridport was constituted a parliamentary borough and became entitled to send two members to parliament, a privilege which it has continued to exercise to the present time.

BridPort was noted from a very early period for its manufactures in hemp and flax, of which a large quantity was grown in the neighbourhood, and in the reign of Henry VIII an Act was passed, that "all the hemp that grew within five miles of Bridport, should be sold only in that town, and that no person within five miles of Bridport should make any cables,s ropes, &c. except for their own use, on pain of forfeiting all the goods they made." The town still continues to be noted for its manufacture of sail-cloth, ropes, twines, shoe-thread, fishing-nets and lines, of the two latter articles a large amount is annually sent to Newfoundland.

Within the last few years, several additional factories have been erected and steam-power has been very generally introduced in order to compensate for the inadequate supply of water in working them. In the year 1625, the plague was at Bridport, in consequence of which, an order was made at the Easter sessions, held at Dorchester, for the collection of £40. weekly, within the division of Dorchester, Sherborne and Bridport, "towards the relief and sustenance of the sick and distressed people of the borough of Bridport, now visited with the plague." The quarter sessions were first held at Bridport, in the same year, in accordance with an order made by the justices of the Easter session, and continued alternately with the towns of Blandford, Sherborne and Shaftesbury, until 1825, when they were removed altogether to Dorchester. During the civil wars between Charles I, and the Parliament, Bridport was the scene of various military operations and frequently fell into the hands of each party, which happened to be master of the field. In March 1643, Captain Thomas Pyne took Bridport with 140 horse, and which was afterwards held by Lieutenant Lea for the Parliament. After the battle of Worcester, Charles II. appears to have passed through this town, and it is reported he rode into the court of the George Inn, which being occupied by Cromwell's party, he left and went to Broadwinsor. These premises were purchased by the late Dr. Roberts, and are now occupied by his successors, Messrs. Beach and Barnicott, and in memory of the event a small effigy of Charles on horseback is still to be seen mounted on the roof of the house. In the year 1670 the plague was again here, and at the Bridport session in 1672 an order was made, allowing £12, out of the county stock for the poor of Bridport in the Lazary of Allington. In Monmouth's rebellion the inhabitants were many of them favourably inclined to his cause. On the day after his landing at Lyme he despatched Ford Lord Grey, a German Count, with 300 men to storm Bridport, which they took the next morning; in the conflict, Edward Coker, Esq. and Wadham Strangeways, M.P. (who were fighting for the king) were killed. During these calamitous times many executions took place at Bridport, John Sprage (or Sprake), Ben Sandford, John Bennett of Lyme, and nine others, were executed here for being concerned in Monmouth's rebellion, and the great grandfather of a person who lately died in this town, only escaped the same fate by remaining under the arch of the West Bridge two days and nights.

THE HARBOUR. The earliest record extant relating to the harbour, bears date the 8th, Edward I. when the borough of Bridport claims to have toll, for which the burgesses paid to the king 20s. at Michaelmas, they also claim to have the stones and sand, wherever the sea ebbs and flows, which liberties they and their ancestors had always used. In the 12th, Richard II. (A.D. 1388-9) John Huddersfield obtained a grant from the king, for carrying on such a work, (of improving the port) for which he was to have a half-penny toll for every horse load of goods imported or exported there. In the 22nd, Henry VI, (1443-4) the bishop of Sarum granted an indulgence for building and repairing a new port at Brydeport, called "Brydeport haven," for the preservation of merchants and mariners, but in 1721 the harbour was in a deplorable condition, and an Act was obtained "for restoring and rebuilding the haven and piers, and for making a sluice," the works however were not commenced till the year 1741, and was finished in the following year. Towards the expense, Lord Deerhurst and George Richards, Esq. (the representatives) contributed £3,500, Richard Brodrepp, sen. Esq. recorder, £1,000, and the town £500, further improvements were also made in 1756. The act of 1721 remained in operation till the year 1823, when a new one was obtained, and in accordance with it a basin was constructed on a larger scale and the harbour otherwise improved, at an expence of from seventeen to twenty thousand pounds. Since this time further improvements have taken place by extending the quay wall in front of the ship yard, erecting a flood gate at the entrance, strengthening the piers, &c. &c.; still no effectual means have been discovered for getting rid of the sand bar, which constantly forms between the pier, and by which the depth of water at this part is materially lessened. The November gale of 1824 was severely felt at this harbour, the water is stated to have risen in a continuous sheet as far as Port Mill, near the old brewery, a large quantity of the bulk timber lying at the harbour, was floated up into the marshes, and some of the vessels were drifted up on the quay; during the night, distress guns were fired, and two vessels which had been lying off were both wrecked, and all hands perished. One of the most severe gales which has been experienced on this coast since, took place on Sunday the 4th October, 1846, and two following days, when the water again rose above the level of the quays, carrying many of the bulks into the basin on its reflux, and entering several dwellings, but fortunately no serious damage was sustained a similar gale, occurred about nine years ago.

The town of Bridport chiefly consists of three spacious well-paved, and gas-lit streets, diverging from the town-hall and designated East street, West street, and South street: many of the houses in these streets are handsome erections, especially in the former, where numerous excellent shops and some good private dwellings are situated. Of late years the harbour has been very much improved and several new houses have been erected on each side of it, as well as on each side of the road that leads from the harbour to the town. The Town Hall, a handsome structure of brick, faced with Portland stone, stands in the centre of the town, and contains the borough sessions court, the grand jury room, and the council chamber, and beneath these offices, the basement story of the building serves as a commodious market house.

The manufacturing and maritime operations of this truly mercantile town, assume a most important feature in its commerce, being carried out on an extensive scale with considerable energy and spirit. Vast quantities of rope and twine, fishing nets and lines, shoe-thread and sail cloth, much of which is sent coastwise and much abroad, are, as before stated, manufactured here, and with the weaving of cotton, woollen and girth webs and sacking, furnish employment to many hundreds of industrious operatives, both in the town and in its vicinity. Ship building also contributes its quota of labour to a number of useful artizans, whose skill in that description of handicraft has long been admitted: many fine vessels are built at Bridport for the English, Scotch, and Irish service; such as Leith smacks, traders, revenue cutters and some other craft. Thousands of tubs, firkins and half-firkins of butter for which Dorset is so justly celebrated and hundreds of tons of cheese are annually shipped at this port for the London market. Besides which, many vessels are continually being freighted here with coals and grain in large quantities, together with some few other articles of general consumption, and their cargoes consigned coastwise for the supply of numerous near and distant towns, situated both inland and on the coast, whilst others are busily engaged in bringing hither the produce of far-off counties and foreign climes, consisting of coals from the North of England and South Wales, with iron from the latter place; timber from America and Norway; hemp, flax and timber from Russia and the Baltic; wines from Portugal, brandies from France, and spirits from various parts of the United Kingdom and from abroad. Suitable cellars and warehouses for bonding the different articles subject to duty imported here, are conveniently situated at the harbour close to the ships' sides, where, also, is the Custom house.

The Church is a fine cruciform structure, presenting an excellent specimen of purely Gothic architecture. It is dedicated to St. Mary, and consists of a nave with side aisles, north and south transepts and a chancel with an aisle on each side, extending its whole length. A square embattled tower, 72 feet in height and adorned with pinnacles, rises from the centre of the building, containing six bells, a clock, and a chiming apparatus. The curfew is regularly rung at eight o'clock. From the style of the building, it appears likely that this Church was erected towards the close of the 14th century or soon after. St. Andrew's Chapel formerly stood in the centre of the town, occupying the site of the present market-house. The rector of Bridport was from time immemorial bound to maintain a chaplain in this chapel to celebrate divine service daily there, and say mass every Saturday and Sunday, and vespers every day in Lent, and at other times to dissolve the penitents and hear confessionals. This chapelry was dissolved 35th Henry VIII. St. Michael's Chapel, which stood in some part of St. Michael's Lane, contained two chantries, one of them, endowed by Robert Faringdon, was styled "the chantry in the free chapel of St. Michael," or Bridport chantry, which was ordered to be made in the 16th Edward II., and a rent of six marks to be granted. Nicholas Michel being presented to this chantry, the bishop ordered it to be endowed, February 16th, 1324. With regard to the other chantry, it appears that in 22nd Edward III., licence was granted to John Mundene and Christian his wife, to give 12 messuages and four acres of land, for two chaplains in St. Michael's chapel, remain two carucates (about 200 acres) of land in Symondsbury and Bilshay. Nicholas Bourtop and Nicholas de Portland to maintain a chantry and celebrate divine service for his soul and the soul of Christian his late wife, &c., each priest was to have yearly for maintenance and clothing 100s., and for bread, wine and candles, 10s. The priory of St. John the Baptist is supposed to have been founded in the reign of king John, and to have been of the Carthusian Order, it stood immediately on the south-west side of the East Bridge, where now stands the building known as "Marquess of Granby." John Shapwick appears to have been prior in 1534. Some portions of this ancient building still remain. St. Leonard's Chapel stands on the east side of South street, and was lately used as a public-house called the "Castle." It is a venerable piece of architecture, and is preserved nearly in a perfect state to the present day. It is entered by a high projecting porch having a room over, which is carried up and finished in a gable fronting the street. The front presents a very unique appearance, in the olden style. St. James's Chapel or Oratory is still to be seen in North street. It is built of stone, with square-headed windows and a stone-covered roof. It is supposed to have been annexed to some other religious house, and soon after the dissolution used as a dwelling-house, as it still continues to be.

Dungeness is the name by which an old building below the church in South street, is known at the present day. It is an ancient and lofty building; little, however, but the exterior now remains in its former state, it having been of late years generally inhabited by some poor families. There exists a tradition that a subterranean passage leads from hence to the church.

DISSENTING CHAPELS.-The Independents have a large chapel in Barrack street. In 1845 a dispute arose respecting the choice of a minister, on which the congregation divided, those favourable to their former minister obtained the old Wesleyan chapel in North street, and re-opened it as an Independent place of worship, under the name of "Salem Chapel," The Wesleyans have a new chapel (opened in November, 1838), at the entrance of South street, in it they have a new finger organ, erected in 1845, expense about £160. The Unitarians have a spacious chapel on the north side of East street, which having undergone complete repair, was re-opened on the 16th of September, 1847, a new finger organ, expense about £170., was also performed on for the first time. The Quaker's chapel is in South street, nearly opposite St. Mary's church, this sect of religionists is gradually diminishing. The Baptists in the year 1841 erected a chapel in New street, in the parish of Bradpole, and the Roman Catholics in the year 1845-6, built a small chapel in the decorated style of architecture further north in the same street, and dedicated it to St. Mary and St. Catherine.

A mechanics' institute and a saving's bank are situated in East street, a church, free-school on the National system, for boys and girls in South street, and a Wesleyan infant school in West street. The weekly markets are held on Wednesday and Saturday; and FAIRS on April 6th for cattle, sheep and cheese, the Tuesday in Whitsun week (at the harbour), and October 11th for cattle, sheep, cheese and pedlery. The borough of Bridport extends far beyond its ancient limits and now comprises portions of the several parishes of Allington, Bothenhampton, Bradpole, Burton-Bradstock, Symondsbury, and Walditch. The population of the borough and parish in 1841, was returned as being 6,333, and at the present time is about 6,500.

The adjacent country is highly picturesque, and, from several of the heights beyond the vale, many fine views may be obtained of the town, the harbour, and the sea. Golden Cape is the loftiest eminence in this vicinity, and serves as a valuable land-mark to mariners.

ALLINGTON. This parish lies on the west of the river Brit, immediately adjoining Bridport, and the principal part of it is now included within the limits of the borough. The living is a perpetual curacy, formerly a chapelry to Bridport rectory.

The earliest mention of it occurs in the year 1262, when Giles de Bridport,* Bishop of Sarum, on founding the college of Vaux, new Sarum gave this benefice, with others, to that college, where it remained until the Restoration.

The old church has been demolished and a new one in the Grecian or Italian style was erected, on a more commodious site, in the year 1827, it is dedicated to St. Swithin. St. Mary Magdalen's Hospital stood at the western extremity of the parish, this establishment seems from its early foundation to have been appropriated to the cure of the leprosy, those afflicted with this loathsome disease were cast off from society and not allowed to ask alms. This building has been for a long time totally destroyed, and its site is now occupied by some old almshouses, given in trust to the churchwardens of Bridport.

* The family of Hood or de Bridport, is a very ancient one, they obtained their surname from dwelling in this town, and on removing into Somersetshire, still retained it. The titles of Viscount and Baron are conferred on this family by Bridport. On the 11th of March, 1256, Giles de Bridport was consecrated Bishop of Sarum, and during his episcopate, the cathedral of that city was finished, it was consecrated on the 30th of September, 1258 in the presence of Henry III., and a great assemblage of nobles, who were entertained at dinner by the Bishop. He died Dec. 13th, 1262, at which time he held the rectories of Allington, Walditch and Milborne St. Andrew. He lies interred in the south side of the choir in Salisbury Cathedral, enshrined in a marble tomb. Viscount (Samuel) Hood, who was born at Butley in Somerset, in the year 1724, was in 1756 appointed to command the "Antelope," of 50 guns, in which he captured a French ship of about equal force. In 1778 he became a baronet, and in 1780 was promoted to the rank of Rear Admiral, two years after he was created an Irish peer, and in 1793 was appointed to command the Mediterranean Fleet. He was raised to the English peerage in 1796, and afterwards received the Grand Cross of the Bath, he died in the year 1816, in his 92nd year.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE, East street. Postmaster, John Prince. Letters are delivered at 7 45 & 9 45 morn. and 8 evening. DESPATCHES to London, day mail at 8 15 a.m.; night mail at 7 15 p.m. Box closes at 6 p.m., letters may be posted to 7 p.m. by affixing an extra 1d. stamp. Taunton at 3 25 p.m. Box closes at 3 p.m., but letters may be posted till 3 20 p.m. by affixing an extra 1d. stamp. Exeter at 6 a.m. Box closes 10 p.m.

Viscount Bridport, younger brother of Viscount Hood, was made Rear Admiral in 1780. On the 23rd June, 1795, he gained a complete victory over the French fleet off Port l'Orient, and took three ships of the line. In 1796 he was appointed to command the Channel Fleet, which he held till 1800. He was afterwards raised to the peerage by the Titles of Baron and Viscount Bridport, and died at Bath, in the year 1814, he lies at Wootton, Somerset. The present country seat of this family is Cricket House, Somerset. Town residence in Wimpole Street.

MESSENGERS FOR

Allington, R. Stone. Bridport, H. Payne. Burton Bradstock, J. Bassett. Milton, E. Baker. Whitechurch Canonicorum, W. E. Payne

Gentry, Clergy, &c.

Balston Mr. Geo. Barrack street
Battiscombe Mrs. Elizabeth, East cottage
Bools Miss Sarah, East street
Broadley Rev. Robert, (rector), South street
Brown Mr. John C. East street
Colfox Miss Harriet, West mead
Colfox William, esq. Rax house
Fox Rev. Hen. West Allington
Good Mr. Daniel, Harbour
Graves Thomas. esq. Beaminster road
Gundry Benj. esq. West street
Gundry Mrs. Elizth. E. West st.
Gundry Joseph, esq. Hyde house
Gundry Saml. Bowden, esq. West street
Hill Rev. William (Wesleyan minister) South street
Hodder James, esq. West street
Hounsell John, esq. East street
Hounsell Joseph, esq. East street
Hounsell Thos. Collins, esq. Wykes court
Hounsell Thomas, jun. esq. Wykes court
Hounsell Wm. esq. Wykes court
Hussey Stephen, esq. East street
Lee Mrs. Elizth. West mead
Matthews Mrs. Sarah, West Allington
Mitchell Mrs. P. Harbour road
Nicholson Rev. Wm. (curate of Bridport) Harbour road
Perham Miss Mary, South street
Rawlinson Rev. Henry (curate of Symondsbury) Allington
Searle Mr. Richard. W. Allington
Short Rev. John, (Unitarian minister), East road
Smith Mr. William, W. Allington
Stent Mr. Wm. West Allington
Swain William, esq. Harbour
Swain William, jun. esq. East st
Templer James, esq. Rax lane
Templer Rev. Wm. (incumbent of Walditch), Rax lane
Tucker Mrs. Elizabeth, South st.
Young Rev. Thomas, (Baptist minister), Allington
Wallace Rev. Thos. (Independent minister), West Allington
Wyld Rev. Joseph, Wm. (Independent minister), W. Allington

Miscellany of Traders, &c.
Not arranged in the succeeding lists.

Brinson John, hatter, West street
Bugler David, commercial traveller, West Allington
Colfox Wm. woolstapler, West st.
Cousens George, cutler, North Allington
Cox John, ship builder, Harbour
Curme Geo. P. parish clerk, West street
Custom house, Harbour, collector, tide & landing coast waiter, Love Thomas; controller, Blagdon Thomas
Dinham Henry, assistant overseer Barrack street
Forsey Theophilus, dairyman, South street
Gas works, South street; secretary, Gillard Wm. S.
Green Jas. farm bailiff, N. Allinton
Green Wm. chimney sweeper, N. Allington
Hill John & Co. flax & hemp merchants, West Allington
Hounsell, Schenck & Hounsell, merchants, Wykes court, & at Newfoundland
James Richard, land surveyor, South street
Lome Richd. sail maker, Harbour
Major Jas. high bailiff to county court, West street
Mechanics Institute, East street; secretary, Williams Jas. esq.; librarian, Halston John
Mitchell Mary, market gardener, Allerton
Olver Daniel, agent to the Christian Knowledge Society, East street
Police Station & Gaol, South st.; superintendt., Champ Samuel Rooker; gaol keeper, Moulton William
Richards Mary, umbrella maker, West street
Roberts Geo. accountant, West Allington
Slade Geo. turner, South street
Stembridge Simeon, clothes salesman, South street
Stroud Thomas, book binder, East street
Swain John, harbour master, Downe street
Tucker Wm. nurseryman, East st
Union Poor House, Barrack st.; master, Ames Benjamin; mistress, Ames Sarah
White Wm. must & block maker, Harbour

Auctioneers and Appraisers.

Bastow Hen. Downe street
Cornick Richard (and architect) West street

Bakers.
Marked thus * are Confectioners also.

Allen Uriah, Folly mill lane
Balson George, West Allington
Balson Wm. North Allington
Barnes Charles, South street
*Bradford George, East street
Collins Jas. North Allington
Eveleigh John, West Allington
Forsey John Allington
Hart Charles, South street
Hodder Bernard, Allington
Hodder Walter G South st.
Pitcher Mary, St. Michael's lane
Rendall George, King of Prussia lane
Rendall Wm. North Allington
Richards Geo. F. East street
*Roberts Geo. Fras. West end
*Smith Ann, West street
Spillers William, Barrack street
Stevens Matthew, East street
Stickland George, South street
Thatcher Thomas, South street
Thomas John, East street
*Way Isaac, South street
Welch William, South street

Banks.

Williams Robert and Herbert, West street; manager, Good Frederick, draw upon Williams, Deacon & Co London
Savings' Bank, East street. Open on Wed. from 1 till 2, treasurer, Drayton John; actuary, Williams Jas.

Basket Makers.

Cook Robert, West street
Richards John, West street

Beer Retailers.

Balson George, North Allington
Biddlecombe Thos. St. Michael's lane
Farnham Mary, West street
Follett James, Folly mill lane
Foster John, St. Michael's lane
Fowler Richard, Barrack street
Froom Isaac, Barrack street
Fry James, North Allington
Fry William, South street
Gale John, South street
Gape John, South street
Garland William, West street
Gosney Robert, South street
Granger John, East street
Hart John, West Allington
Hawker Elizabeth, King of Prussia lane
Hounsell Robert, North Allington
Hyde Esau, Barrack street
Knight Matthew, Allington
Munden John, South street
Payne David, North Allington
Pearse Samuel, North Allington
Powell Mark, St. Michael's lane
Rawles Richard, Harbour road
Rendall Samuel, Allington
Roberts Thomas, South street
Squibb George, South street
Stevens Matthew, East street
Thomas Levi, South street
Welch Ann, South street
Williams James, East street
Woodward Walter, East street

Berlin Wool Warehouses.

Huddy & Dabinett (and fancy stationers) East street
Tucker Francis, South street

Blacksmiths,

Fry Samuel, North Allington
Fry William, South street
Hawker Stephen, East street
Knight John (and veterinary surgeon), East street
Parris Joel, South street
Turner Thomas, South street
Turner William, East street

Booksellers & Stationers.

Brown John, West street
Frost William Chas. East street
Prince John (and library) East street
Tucker Francis (& library, reading rooms, music & toy warehouse) South street

Boot & Shoemakers.

Balson Samuel, Allington
Bridle William, North street
Brownsell James, South street
Bucknole Samuel, Allington
Caines David, East street
Cox Samuel, South street
Crabb Peter, West street
Crabb Thomas, East street
Curtis Jeremiah, West street
Dean James, East street
Diller Samuel, South street
Dodge Augustus, East street
Ellis William, South street
Hain Henry, Allington
Hallett Benjamin, West street
Hart George, East street
Hyde Robert, Barrack street
Milverton Geo. West Allington
Northover John S. South street
Pike John, West street
Rocket Robert, South street
Slade Anthony, Barrack street
Stembridge David, 2, Prospect pl.
Stevens John, Harbour road
Stickland Richard, South street
Stocker Joseph, South street
Warren Thomas, South street
Way Thomas, St. Michael's lane

Brassfounders.

Dollin John (& balling machine maker) East street
Samson Gerrard (and iron) East street

Brewers & Maltsters.

Gundry, Downe & Co. South st.
Legg Thomas, Gundry lane

Bricklayers & Plasterers.

Cooper John, North street
Cooper Joseph, North Allington
Goddard Henry, Harbour road
Gollop William, East street
Legg Thomas, South street
Patten James & Henry, King of Prussia lane
Patten William, South street
Ward Samuel, East road

Brickmakers.

Batten Christopher, N. Allington
Cornick & Sons, West Allington
Morey William, North Allington
Ward Thomas, (& draining pipe) Bradpole road

Builders.

Cornick & Sons, West street
Galpin Frederick, South street
Gerrard James, Barrack street
Rockett John, St. Michael's lane

Butchers.

Balson Arthur, West Allington
Hallett Joseph, (and poulterer) West street
Marsh George, N. Allington
Olver William, South street
Salisbury William, East street

Butter & Cheese Factors.

Jefferies Jas. Henry, Barrack. st
Reader William, South street
Tucker & Co. East street

Cabinetmakers & Upholsterers.

Budden Wm. Gundry lane
Curme Henry, West street
Gage Thomas, Folly mill lane
Larcombe John Case, East street
Lawrence Job, East street
Northover Charles, South street
Strong Peter (chair only) West st

Carpenters and Joiners.

Best George, North Allington
Budden William, Gundry lane
Dollin John, East street
Hyde Esau, Barrack street
Keeping William, West street
Rappsey Jesse, South street
Rawles Richard, Harbour road

Carver and Glider.

Richards William (and printseller) East street

Chemists & Druggists.

Beach & Barnicott (& proprietors of the poor man's friend) East st.
Coppock John, East street
Crease Walsingham, West street
Knight Edwd. Sackville, West st.
Tucker Charles, South street

China, Glass, &c. Dealers.

Bonnor Thomas, West street
Ebdon Richard, Market place
Harvey Benjamin, Barrack street
Locker William (& Birmingham & Sheffield warehouse) East street

Coach Builders.

Deem John & Son, South street
Fudge Thomas, East street
Symes John, Church lane

Coal Merchants.

Fox, Tucker & Co. Bridport harbour
Rebbeck James, South street
Selwood and Whetham, Bridport harbour
Swain & Son, Bridport harbour
Tucker & Co. Bridport harbour

Confectioners.
See also Bakers.

Howe Richard James, East street
Turner George, South street

Consuls-Vice.

America, Nicholletts Edwin, East street
Swedish and Norwegian, Good Daniel, Bridport harbour

Coopers.

Andress Richard, South street
Cook Robert, West street
Foot John, East street
Trayte John, South street
Warren James, Allington

Curriers & Leather Sellers.

Hockey Robert, (leather seller only) St. Michael's lane
Restarick Edward (leather seller only) East street
Roper John, East street
Turner William E. East street

Dyers-Silk and Cotton.

Lazenbury Samuel, West street
Read John, West street

Farmers.

Biddlecome Daniel, Allington
Hodder James, West Allington
Marsh John, North Allington
Matthews Joseph, South street
Olver Richard, South street
Spencer Jesse, North Allington
Tucker Samuel, Allington
Tucker Thomas, West Allington

Fire & Life Assurance Agents.
Thus * denotes Fire; thus § Life.

*§ Church of England, Ebdon Rd. Market place
§Clerical, Medical and General, Knight Robert, West Allington
*District; Frost Wm. Chas. East st
*§Guardian, Gillard William Salter, Harbour road
*§Industrial & General & Deposit, Coppock John, East street
§Kent Mutual, Bastow Hn. Downe st
*§Legal & Commercial, Newberry Charles, West street
*§London Corporation, Warr Wm. East street
Minerva, Frost Wm. Chs. East st
National Provident, Monteith John, Barrack street
§* Norwich Union, Nicholetts & Burridge, East street
*§Royal Exchange, Cornick and Sons, West street
§Royal Farmers'. Good, Fredk. Dorsetshire bank
§Royal Naval, Military & East India Co. Knight Edw. Sackville, West street
§Solicitors & General, Gummer Stephen Henry, South street
*§Star, Bartlett Francis, East st.
§Universal, Hounsell Thos. North st
*§ West of England, Templer Hen. Rax lane

Fishing Net Makers.

See line, twine, & shoe thread manufacturers, etc.

Flax and Tow Spinners.

Ewens Thos. & Sons, West Allington
Hounsell Wm. & Co. Wykes court
Pymore Mill Co., Pymore; manager, Suttill John
Whetham Stephen & Sons, South street

Glove & Gaiter Manufacturers.

Biddlecome Thomas E. West st.
Edmunds George & Co. South st

Grocers and Tea-dealers.

Bennett Samuel, (& tallow chandler) East street
Chick Sarah R. East street
Collins William, East street
Ebdon Richard, Market place
Holmwood Elizabeth, West street
Pitcher Sarah Ann, West street
Reader William, South street
Tucker John, South street
Warr Wm. (& dealer in British wines), East street
Whetham Stephen, West street

Grocery and Sundries - Dealers in.

Allen Peggy, South street
Balson George, West Allington
Best Georpe, North Allington
Collman Mary, East street
Cox Catharine, South street
Foan Charles, West street
Forsey John, West Allington
Grinter John, West street
Hall Ann, Bridport harbour
Hart Charles, South street
Harvey Benjamin, Barrack street
Hodder George, South street
Hopkins John, Allington
Hopkins John, St. Michael's lane
Keech, Joseph, Allington
Larcombe John, South street
Larcombe John Case, East street
Lome Richard, Bridport harbour
Luff James, South street
Moore John, East street
Neil Eliza, Bridport harbour
Newbery Frances, King of Prussia lane
Osborne William, South street
Pitcher Mary, St. Michael's lane
Russell Agnes, South street
Seymour Hobert, East street
Stevens Sarah, East street
Tizzard Alfred, St. Michael's lane
Way Isaac, South street
White Emma, South street
Woodward Walter, East street

Hair Dressers.

Granger John, West street
Gully Joseph, South street
Olver Daniel, East street
Olver John, South street
Pike John, West street
Turner William, South street
Woodward Walter, East street

Inns and Public Houses.

Boot, North Allington, Dunham James
Bull Inn, (& family, commercial & posting house) East street, Knight John
Bridport Arms, South street, Herding Edward
Bridport Arms, Bridport harbour, Jarvis John
Cross Keys, South street, Ackerman Stephen
Crown Inn, Harbour road, Phillips John
Dolphin, East street, Hawker Stephen
Fisherman's Arms, South street, Brownsell James
Five Bells, South st. Patten Wm
George, Bridport harbour, Jarvis Sarah
George, South street, Matthews Joseph
Globe, East street, Major Ann
Golden Lion, East road, Russell Robert
Greyhound Inn, (agricultural & commercial & inland revenue office) East street, Furmage William
Hope & Anchor, St. Michael's lane, (& fly proprietor), Powell Mark
King of Prussia, East st. Coates Thomas
King's Arms, North Allington, Balson William
Masons' Arms, North street, Cooper John
Neptune, Bridport harbour, Holt Robert
Pack horse, East street, Pinney Richard
Plymouth Inn, Allington, Milverton George
Royal Oak, West street, Smith Ann
Seven Stars, Barrack street, Jefferies James Henry
Ship, South st. Rappsey Jesse
Shipwright's Arms, South street, Gape John
Shoeing Smith's Arms, South st. Fry William
Star Inn, (commercial) West st. Ham Wm. Beale
Sun, West street, Hockey James
Three Mariners, East street, Legg James
White Lion, Allington, Major George

Ironmongers, Braziers, &c.

Dunham John (& plumber & oil & colourman) East street
Jones William (and plumber) East street
Samson Gerrard, East street Stephens Henry, East street

Line, Twine, Shoe Thread, & Fishing Net Manufacturers.

Balston Joseph, Barrack street
Bartlett Joseph, West street
Budden Robert (& bag, sacking, &c.) West street
Edwards James (& sacks & waterproof coverings) N. Allington
Ewens John Bishop (& bleacher, dyer & girth web mnfr.) West st
Ewens Thos. & Son (& flax and tow spinners) West Allington
Gundry Joseph & Co. West street
Hinde John (& bag, sacking, &c.) St. Michael's lane
Hockey Robert (& bags, sackings, &c.) St. Michael's lane
Hounsell Joseph, East street
Hounsell Wm. & Co. (& canvas) Wykes court
Powell Mark (& bags, sacking, & canvas) St. Michael's lane
Pymore Mill Co. Pymore, manager, Suttill John
Rendall & Coombs (& sack, bag, sacking, sail cloth, webs and waterproof coverings) West Allington (see also advt. at end of book)
Stephens John Pike & Co. (and sail cloth) Rax line
Tucker Rd. & Wm. South street
Tucker T. & Co. (& sacking and girth web), South street
Turner Robert, West street
Whetham, Stephen & Sons (and sail cloth), South street

Linen and Woollen Drapers.

Bartlett Francis (& stamp office) East street
Bennett John, East street
Budden Bernard, West street
Haycraft James, East street
Hodder James Skinner, West st.
Howell David, East street
Neal Elizth. Bridport harbour
Newberry Charles, West street
Stephens Silvanus, East street
Swayne Robert, East street
Templeman James, (& millinery warehouse), East street
Williams John Cox, East street

Millers.

Hawker David, Folly mill lane
Kerslake John, East street
Legg Thomas, (& balling mills), West street
Perham John, South street
Swatridge William, (& corn importer), East road

Milliners and Dress Makers.

Ackerman Sarah, North Allington
Best Eliza, North Allington
Buckler & Guppy, Barrack street
Cornish Ann, Prospect place
Crease Sarah, West street
Curdling Jane, St. Michael's lane
Ewens Esther Mary, West street
Good Caroline, East street
Hallett Amelia, West street
Hansford Harriett, East street
Kellaway Ann Kate, East street
Woodward Caroline, East street

Newspaper Agents.

Frost Wm., Chas. East street
Payne Walter E. Barrack street
Prince John, East street
Tucker Francis, South street

Painters, Plumbers & Glaziers.

Barrett Henry, Allington
Bridle Henry, West street
Brown Thomas, East street
Cornish John, (& paper hanger), Barrack street
Slader Robert S. Folly mill lane

Physicians.

Keddle Shering Samuel, West st
Symes George, South street

Printers.

Frost Wm. Chas. East street
Prince John, East street
Tucker Francis, (& bookbinder,) South street

Professors of Music.

Avant Thomas, (& pianoforte tuner & seller), South street
Lee Miss (dancing), South street
Linter Elizabeth & Mary Ann, Downes street

Registrars.

Coppock John, (of marriages), East street
Monteith John, (of marriages) Barrack street
Pitfield John, (of births & deaths), Chard's mead; deputy, Balson Thomas Moore, North Allington
Tucker Wm. (of marriages), Allington villa

Rope Makers.

Tucker & Co. Bridport harbour

Saddle & Harness Makers.

Biddlecome Thomas E. West st.
Cox Richard, East street
Edmunds George & Co. South st

Schools.
Those marked thus * take Boarders.

*Coates Henry, South street
Cox Hen. Nobbs, Prospect place
Everett William, West street
Hansford Frances, Downes street
Infant, West street; master, Hopkins John
Jones Alfred, Prospect place
*Mouat George Philip, East st.
National & Infant, Gundry lane; master, Henfrey Geo.; mistresses, Henfrey Mrs. & Miss
Rendall Martha, East street
Tucker Anna & Fanny, South st
Tucker Fanny, Barrack street

Ship Agents.

Good Daniel (& receiver of droits of Admiralty, insurance broker, custom house commn. & genl agent & agent to Lloyd's), Bridport harbour
Hoare John, Bridport harbour
Philpot William, Bridport harbour
Selwood & Whetham, Bridport harbour
Swain & Son, Bridport harbour

Solicitors.

Day Joseph Addison, West Allington
Flight Thomas, East road
Fox Henry B. East road
Gummer Stephen Henry (& clerk to the county court), South st.
Gundry Frederick Walter, West st
Nicholetts Edwin, & Burridge Arthur, Rax lane
Nicholetts Edwin, firm of the above, (town clerk & clerk to Borough magistrates & to the Bridport harbour commissioners) Rax lane
Templer James & Hen. Augustus, Rax lane

Stay Makers.

Kendell Mary, Allington
Olver Cornelia, East street
Stroud Martha, East street

Stone and Marble Masons.

Fry William, West street
Walters Samuel, South street

Straw Hat Makers.

Andrews Matilda, South street
Diller Eliza & Elizabeth, South st
Dollin Ellen & Selina, East street
Gregory Martha, East street
Martin Maria, East street

Surgeons.

Allen Peter, & M.D. Downes street
Cary & Gunn, West Allington
Denziloe Matthew, West Allington
Hay Wm. Henry, East street
Hounsell John, East street
Jefford John, Downe street
Tucker Wm. North Allington

Tailors.
Marked thus * are Drapers also.

*Bucknole Josiah, W. Allington
*Budden Barnard, West street
Cox Edward, East street
Cox Joseph, South street
Cox William, East street
*Fooks William, West street
Gale Benjamin, South street
*Gifford Matthew, West street
Matterface Wm. North Allington
Morris John, South street
Northover Theophilus, East street
Stevens George, St. Michael's la.
*Swaffield Henry & Co. West st. & at Dorchester
Walker George, South street
Ward George, Barrack street
Weadon William, West street

Tanners and Fellmongers.

Biddlecome Thomas & E. West st
Edmunds George & Co. South st
Roper John (tanner only), East st

Tea Dealers Travelling.

Denziloe Wm. King of Prussia la
Glencross Jas. Prospect place
Douglas Robert, Barrack street
Sharp Robert, (draper), St. Michael's lane

Timber & Slate Merchants.

Cornick & Sons, West street
Deem & Son, South street
Swain & Son, Bridport harbour
Tucker & Co. Bridport harbour

Tin Plate Workers,
See also Ironmongers.

Richards Benjamin, West street
Turner Henry, South street

Watch & Clock Makers.

Booth Joseph, West street
Crouch Edward, (& jeweller and artiste in hair), East street
Farnham John, West street
Farnham Mary, West street
Peach Henry, East street

Wheelwrights.

Deem & Son, South street
Hyde Esau, Barrack street

Whitesmiths.

Champ Samuel Rooker (& gun smith), Barrack street
Dunham John, East street
Gale John, South street
Turner William, East street

Wine & Splrtt Merchants.

Chick Wm. H. (& ale and porter) South street
Gundry, Downe & Co. (spirits only), South street
Whetham Stephen, West street

COACHES - TO
(From the Bull Hotel).

DORCHESTER, (Royal Mail), at 8 15 morn. & 7 even.
EXETER, (Royal Mail), at 6 morn., (Coronet) at 12 noon.
LYME, (Royal Mail) at 7 30 evening
TAUNTON, (Royal Mail) at 7 15 morning
WEYMOUTH, Coronet, at 3 30 aft. via Dorchester

CARRIERS - TO

LONDON, Crocker & Co. (agent, Chas. Stone), to the Castle & Falcon) Aldersgate street, and Van Inn, Giltspur Street, Smithfield; Ford & Co. (agent, John Lamb), to the Blossoms Inn, Lawrence lane, Cheapside, both daily
AXMINSTER, HONITON & EXETER, Gill, from the Star Inn, mon. & thurs. at noon
BRISTOL, SOUTH WALES & NORTH OF ENGLAND, Crocker & Co. (agent, Chas. Stone), Ford & Co. (agent John Lamb), both daily,
CHARMOUTH & LYME, Baker, from the Packhorse, mon. wed. & sat.
DORCHESTER, Watt's Van, tuesday morning at 9.
EXETER, PLYMOUTH, SOUTH DEVON & CORNWALL, Ford & Co. (agent, John Lamb), tues. thurs. & sat.
LANDPORT, Perry, from the Star Inn, tues. & sat. at noon
LYME & AXMINSTER, Pidgeon, from the Royal Oak, sat. 3 aft.
WEYMOUTH, Mitchell, from the Star Inn, mon. & thurs. at noon.
Williams' Bus, from his own house, mon. & thurs. at noon

WATER CONVEYANCE.

LONDON, from the Harbour, one of the Traders, Busy, Dorset, or London, weekly, to Hoare's wharf
PLYMOUTH, the Liberty, weekly