Transcript of the description for Long Bredy from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

BREDY-LONG a village 8 miles W. of Dorchester and 8 E. from Bridport. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a plain structure, surmounted by a tower; the living is a rectory in the patronage of Robert Williams, Esq. The parish comprises about 2000 acres, and had in 1841, a population of 340. Post Office, at Maria Read's. Letters arrive via Dorchester at 8 a.m. and are despatched thereto at 5 p.m.

Foot Rev. Lundy M.A. Rectory
Hounsell Mr. Edmund
Mansell Moreton Grove, esq. Kingston Russell house
Bligdon John, blacksmith
Cosens James, farmer
Cox George, tailor
Fry Charles, farmer
Fry Robert, carpenter
Hansford George, dairyman, Kingston Russell
Hounsell Chas. boot & shoemaker
Hounsell Geo. saddler & farmer
Jeffrey Hannah, farmer
Marsh Henry, boot & shoemaker
Palmer Robert, farmer
Roper Moses, grocery dealer
Samson Thomas, farmer
Simmonds Thomas, dairyman
Symes Joseph, farmer
Symes William, dairyman
Vine Samuel, 'Long Bredy Hut'
Vine Stephen & Chas. farmers
Warren John, dairyman