Transcript of the description for Bradford Abbas from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

BRADFORD-ABBAS, a village 4 miles S.W. from Sherborne, and 2 S.E. from Yeovil. The church is an ancient structure, having an handsome embattled tower, on the sides of which are some sculptured figures. The living is a vicarage united with the rectory of Clifton Mabank, Here is an endowed charity school. The parish comprises 1840 acres, and had in 1841 a population of 652. Post Office at George Ridout's. Letters arrive at 8 45 a.m. and are despatched to all parts, via Sherborne, at 2 p.m.

Granger Mr. Edward
Grant Rev Robert, Vicarage
Arnold Henry, parish clerk and shoemaker
Arnold William Hen. organist
Baker Ernest, farmer
Bartlett George, baker
Bartlett Joseph & Geo. farmers
Bragg George, carpenter
Charity school, master, Priddle Wm. mistress, Masters Nancy
Crocker William, beer retailer
Francis George, yeoman
Hockey George, tailor
Minchinton John, beer retailer
Mitchell Thomas, 'Rose & Crown'
Pitt John, grocery, &c. dealer
Plomer George, saddler
Rendall Solomon, blacksmith
Ridout Peter, grocer & baker
Sherring John, farmer
Wadman Christopher, tailor
Warren John, farmer & miller
Wills Charles, grocery, &c. dealer