Transcript of the description for Askerswell from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
ASKERSWELL, a village 4 miles E. from Bridport, pleasantly situate in a vale encompassed by lofty hills. The church is dedicated to St. Michael, and the living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. The parish comprises 1161 acres, and had in 1841 a population of 233.
Cox Rev. Alfred, M.A. (rector)
Miller Mr. William
Pitfield Thomas, Esq.
Baker Ths. farmer, Low. Eggerton
Bishop William, farmer
Burt Thomas, farmer
Chick Absalom, farmer
Conway Richard, dairyman
Genge William, dairyman
Noble Henry, boot and shoemaker
Ransford Elizabeth, miller
Way George Edmund, miller and baker, Hembury mill
White John, parish clerk
Williams John, 'Three Horse Shoes' and blacksmith