Transcript of the description for Ashmore from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851

ASHMORE, a village 5 miles S.E. of Shaftesbury, on the confines of Wiltshire. The church is an old edifice, and the living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Here is a school upon the National system. The parish comprises 3940 acres, and had in 1841 a population of 242.

Davie Rev. G. J.(curate)
Hall Stephen, farmer
Hardy Harry, farmer
Hare George, farmer
Hiscock Arthur, farmer
Morey Walter, stonemason
National School, Stainer Joseph, master, Stainer E. mistress
Rabbits George, farmer
Rabbits Josiah, shopkeeper
Ridout Henry, farmer
Ridout Joseph, baker
Warren Charles, carpenter
Wheeler, Arthur, blacksmith