Transcript of the description for Alton Pancras from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
ALTON PANCRAS, alias Alton, a village 2 miles E. from Cerne Abbas, and 8 N. from Dorchester. The church is an old gothic structure, the living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. Here is a school upon the national system. The parish comprises 2000 acres, and had in 1841 a population of 300.
Miller Mr. Michael, jun.
Shittler Rev. Robert (vicar)
Brown John, brewer
Coombs William, stonemason
Croad Abel, boot and shoe maker
Draper Wm. dairyman, Alton common
Dunning Thomas, miller & baker
Hankins Charles, farmer
Kent John, farmer
Lovelace Maria, grocery dealer
Masters Alfred, grocery dealer
Masters Robert, boot & shoe maker
Masters William, carpenter and wheelwright