Transcript of the description for Almer from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
ALMER, a village 6 miles S.S.E. from Blandford, situated on the Winterbourne. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and the living is a rectory in the patronage of John S. W. S. E. Drax, Esq. MP., who is likewise Lord of the Manor. The parish with the hamlet of Mapperton comprises 1520 acres, and had in 1841 a population of 189.
Sawbridge Rev. Chas. M.A. rector
Cave Edward Wm. farmer
Crumper Robert,'Red Lion'
Ingram Wm. farmer, Mapperton
Legg Joseph, farmer
Melmoth Henry, grocery dealer
Richards George, jun. farmer
Shettle Thomas, farmer and land steward, Mapperton