Transcript of the description for Affpuddle from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851
AFFPUDDLE, a parish and township in the south division of Blandford, hundred of Hundreds Barrow, Wareham Union, 8 miles E.N.E. from Dorchester. The parish contains the hamlets of Pallington, Bryan's-puddle, Oakers Wood, Roger's Hill, Throop and Waddock, the living united with Tamer's puddle is a vicarage in the patronage of James Frampton, Esq. The church is an ancient structure with a square tower of great architectural beauty; the body of the edifice has lately been put in complete repair, the interior consists of finely carved oak pews or stalls, with a pulpit of the same style and material, and a finely carved screen; an organ has also been placed here by the present vicar. The first living after the Reformation was given to Sir Hugh de Lillington, a monk of Cerne, by whom the interior decorations were erected; the old ceiling of the church has been removed and new close one of polished oak, at a cost of £200, lines the roof, which gives to the whole a noble appearance seldom met with in a village church, acres 3546, the population in 1841 was 507.
Frampton Hen. esq. Oakerswood Waldy Rev. Richard, M.A.
Besent Chas, farmer, Pallington
Besent Robert, ditto, Rogershill
Branston Wm. Henry, farmer
Chilcott Isaac, parish clerk
Davis James, carpenter
Hall Wm. blacksmith, Waddock
Hooper Edward, farmer, Bryant's puddle
Hooper John, farmer
Hooper Wm. miller & farmer
Miller John, carpenter
Mitchell Lawrence, blacksmith, Bryant's puddle
Pitt William, farmer
Saer William, farmer, Waddock
Scutt Thomas, grocer, &c.
Sherwood John, stonemason