Transcript of the description for Maiden Newton from Kelly's Directory of Dorset, 1889

Maiden Newton is a parish and market town, pleasantly situated on the river Frome, with a station on the Bridport junction of the Great Western railway, 8 miles north-west from Dorchester, 148½ from London and 9 south-east from Beaminster, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Tollerford, Dorchester petty sessional division, union and county court district, and rural deanery of Bridport Abbotsbury portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.