Transcript of the description for Hawkchurch from Kelly's Directory of Dorset, 1889

Hawkchurch is a parish, situated on the borders of Devonshire, and bounded on the north by the river Axe, 4 miles south from Chard Road station, on the London and South Western railway, 4½ east-north-east from Axminster, and 6½ south from Chard, in the Western division of the county, petty sessional division of Bridport, partly in the hundred of Uggiscombe, and partly in the hundred of Cerne, union and county court district of Axminster, rural deanery of Bridport Lyme portion, archdeaconry of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury.