Entry from White's Devonshire 1878:
Arlington, 6 miles N.E. of Barnstaple, is a parish and village in Barnstaple union and county court district, and archdeaconry, Braunton petty sessional division, Sherwill hundred, and deanery. The parish contained 240 inhabitants (123 males and 117 females) in 1871, living in 41 houses, on 2535 acres of land, and includes the hamlet of Beccott, nearly two miles N. of the church. Sir Alexander Palmer Bruce Chichester, whose father was created a baronet in 1840, is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil and has a handsome seat here called Arlington Court. The manor was settled on the family in the reign of Henry VII.