Entry from White's Devonshire 1878:
Alverdiscott, or Alscott, parish includes the hamlets of Bullworthy and Stonecross, and gives name to a pleasant, scattered village, 5 miles E. by S. of Bideford Railway Station, on the South Western line. The parish, which extends from 3 to 6 miles E. by S. of Bideford, is in Torrington union, county court district, Great Torrington petty sessional division, Torrington polling district of North Devon, Barnstaple archdeaconry, Torrington rural deanery, and Fremington hundred. It had 324 inhabitants (147 males, 177 females) in 1871, living on 2273 acres of land. Miss Mary Preston is lady of the manor, formerly held by the Fleming, Bellew, and other families; but W.A. Deane, Esq. and several smaller owners have estates in the parish. Webbery was anciently the seat of a family of its own name, and was successively held by the Lippincotts and Cutliffes, the latter of whom rebuilt the house about 1820: it stands in pleasant grounds and is now the residence of W.A. Deane.