Entry from White's Devonshire 1878:
Alphington, a parish and pleasant village on the western side of the river Exe, 1 1/2 mile S. of Exeter, is traversed by the South Devon Railway and Exeter Ship Canal. It is in St. Thomas's union, Exeter county court district, Wonford petty sessional division and hundred, Exeter polling district of East Devon, Exeter archdeaconry and Kenn rural district. It had 1166 inhabitants (561 males, 605 females) in 1871, living in 251 houses, on 2471 acres of land. The Earl of Devon owns most of the soil and is the lord of the manor of Alphington, which was obtained by his family in the reign of Richard II., in exchange from the Seagraves. Matford, formerly the seat of the Smith and other families, belongs to Sir L.V. Palk; and the Gibbs family and others have estates here. The village was one of the principal quarters of Sir Thomas Fairfax's army in 1646, when he was blockading Exeter.