Yarcombe, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, 5 miles W by S of Chard station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chard. Acreage, 5238; population of the civil parish, 647; of the ecclesiastical, 625. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to St Michael Abbey in Normandy, passed to the priory of Otterton, and belongs now to the Drake family. Sheafhayne House is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £480 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Decorated style, with an embattled tower. There are two Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yarcombe St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Chard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yarcombe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Yarcombe (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Yarcombe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.