Witheridge, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 7 miles ENE of Lapford station on the L.&S.W.R., and 8 E of Chulmleigh. It was once a borough and a market-town, and has four annual fairs, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Morchard Bishop. The parish comprises 7001 acres; population of the civil parish, 868; of the ecclesiastical, 1022. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. There are a branch bank and a butter factory in the village. The manor and much of the land belong to the Earl of Portsmouth. There are several good seats in the neiglibourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £370 with residence. The church is Early Perpendicular, with an embattled tower, and was largely restored in 1882. There are Bible Christian and Congregational chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Witheridge St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Witheridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Witheridge (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.