Uplyme, a parish, with a village, in Devonshire, 4 miles SSE of Axminster station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Lyme; money order and telegraph office, Lyme. Acreage, 3584; population of the civil parish, 830; of the ecclesiastical, 756. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The manor belonged to Glaston-bury Abbey, passed to the Drakes, and with Rhode Hill mansion belongs now to the Talbot family. A Roman bath, a tessellated pavement, and other Roman relics have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £400 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and was thoroughly restored in 1876. There are Brethren and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Uplyme St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Axminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Uplyme from the following:
Online maps of Uplyme are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.