Staverton, a parish, with three hamlets, in Devonshire, on the river Dart, with a station on the G.W.R, 221 miles from London, and 3 NNW of Totnes. It has a post office under Totnes; money order and telegraph office, Totnes. Acreage, 5204; population of the civil parish, 676; of the ecclesiastical, 398. Cider is largely made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £290 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is good, and has been thoroughly restored. The rood screen is a marvellous and unique specimen of the Devonshire screens, with richly carved gallery. The vicarage of Landscove is a separate benefice. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Landscove.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staverton St. George|
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1614.
Church of England
St. Paul de Leon (parish church)
The church of St. Paul is a large and ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells, of which the 1st, 3rd and 4th were cast in 1761 by Thomas Bilbie; the 2nd and 6th were recast in 1856; the 5th dates from 1798: the tower is in the Early English style, the western part of the nave Decorated and the east end of the nave and part of the chancel Perpendicular: the east window is stained and there are two other stained windows, including one in the south wall, given by the Rev. H. F. Atherley, a former vicar, in memory of his wife: in 1854-73 the chancel was partly restored in the Decorated style by the Rev. H. F. Atherley, at a cost of £1,000; and in 1875-91 the church was entirely renovated at a cost of £2,750: a richly carved reredos, copied from that in the cathedral of Freiburg, Baden, has been added, and a handsome brass placed on the north wall in memory of a former vicar: the nave has also been entirely refitted with open seats and a new organ introduced: in the church is a monument to the Worth family, dated 1620, and the fine screen of carved oak of 17 bays, 50 feet long and 15 feet in height, was restored in 1890-91, at a cost of nearly £1,000: the restoration included the reconstruction of the ancient rood gallery: the screen was dedicated 9 June, 1892.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staverton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Staverton (St. George))
Online maps of Staverton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.