Rose Ash, Devon
Rose Ash, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 6 miles ESE of South Molton, and 4 from Bishops Nympton station on the G.W.R., and was formerly called Ralph Esse. The parish contains also the hamlet of Yard and part of Ashmill. It has a post office under South Molton; money order and telegraph office, South Molton. Acreage, 5058; population of the civil parish, 444; of the ecclesiastical, 449. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £350 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1889-92, except the tower and NW wall. The old roof of the N aisle has been preserved, also the ancient screen and the font. The living has been in the possession of the Southcomb family since 1675.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rose-Ash St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rose Ash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rose-Ash (St. Peter))
Online maps of Rose Ash are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.