Pinhoe, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village has a station on the L. & S.W.R. 169 miles from London, 2½ NE of Exeter, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Exeter. Acreage of parish, 1758; population, 761. A battle was fought here against the Danes in 1001. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £140 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church stands nearly a mile from the village; is old hut good, with a tower; and contains elaborately-carved oak pulpit and screen. The building was well restored in 1880. There are a mission hall and a Baptist chapel. Bishop Conybeare and the theologian John Reynolds were natives.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Pinhoe St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Pinhoe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pinhoe (St. Michael))
Online maps of Pinhoe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.