North Tawton, Devon
Tawton, North, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 191 miles from London, and 6½ NE of Okehampton, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish includes Week hamlet, and comprises 5967 acres; population of the civil parish, 1737; of the ecclesiastical, 1682. There are a woollen and serge manufactory, and a copious intermitting spring. The market is held on Thursday, and cattle fairs are held in April, October, and December. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £800 with residence. The church is old, and has been restored. There are Congregational, Bible Christian, and Wesleyan chapels. A clock tower of red brick was erected in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Tawton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Tawton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tawton, North (St. Peter))
Online maps of North Tawton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.