Membury, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Yarty, and near the boundary with Dorsetshire, 3½ miles N by W of Axminster station on the L. & S.W.R., with a post office under Axminster; money order and telegraph office, Axminster. Acreage of the civil parish, 4394; population, 645; of the ecclesiastical, 3759. The manor belonged to the Courtenays, passed to the Drakes, and now belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Yarty, now a farmhouse, was the seat of the Yarty family; Waterhouse, anciently called Waters, was the seat of the De la Water family. Membury Castle is a well-preserved ancient British camp of about 2 acres on a hill. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarages of Axminster and Kilmington, in the diocese of Exeter; joint value, £600 with residence. The church is partly Early English, partly Decorated, has been restored, comprises nave, transept, and chancel, and contains a fine monument to Sir S. Calmady.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Membury St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Axminster|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Membury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Membury (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Membury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.