Little Torrington, Devon
Torrington, Little, a parish, with two villages, in Devonshire, 2 miles S of Great Torrington station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Torrington; money order and telegraph office, Torrington. Acreage, 3140; population, 412. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. Cross House and Smytham are the chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £390 with residence. The church has been enlarged and restored. At Taddyport village there is an ancient chapel attached to an old leper hospital foundation. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Torrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Torrington, Little)
Online maps of Little Torrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.