Fitzford, Devon

Historical Description

Fitzford, a quondam mansion in Devonshire, at the southern outskirt of Tavistock. It was anciently a seat of the Fitz family, but belonged in 1644 to Sir Richard Granville, and was then garrisoned for Charles, but taken by Lord Essex. A fine old gateway of it is still standing.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.