East Putford, Devon
Putford, East, a village and a parish in Devonshire, on the river Torridge, 9 miles SW of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Brandis Corner; money order and telegraph office, Bradworthy. Acreage, 2379; population, 139. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the rectory of West Putford, in the diocese of Exeter. The chapel consists of chancel, nave with bell turret, and N transept. It was. almost completely rebuilt in 1882. . Putford, West, a small and scattered parish in Devonshire, situated on both sides of the river Torridge, 10 miles SW of Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Putford Bridge; money order and telegraph office, Bradworthy. The parish contains the hamlets of Colscotty Sessacott, Thriverdon, and Wedfield. Acreage, 2705; population, 233. The living is a rectory, with East Pntford annexed, in the diocese of Exeter; joint value, £220 with residence. The church is cruciform and has a western tower. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Putford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Putford, East)
Online maps of East Putford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.