Dunterton, a parish in Devonsliire, on the river Tamar, 5 miles SE by S of Launceston, and 4 SSW of Lifton station on the G.W.R. It contains the hamlet of Eastacott, and its post town is Milton-Abbot, under Tavistock; money order office, Lifton; telegraph office, Launceston. Acreage, 1206; population, 86. A fine waterfall, over a rocky precipice 100 high, occurs in a stream flowing to the Tamar. There are two ancient mounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £309 with residence. The church is chiefly Decorated English, consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with a handsome tower, and is in good condition. A chantry chapel stood in Chapel-Field, and the remains of it were converted into a cow-house.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dunterton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunterton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dunterton (All Saints))
Online maps of Dunterton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.