Dunkeswell, a parish in Devonshire, near one of the sources of the river Culm, 6 miles N by W of Honiton town, and 4 from Hemyock station on the G.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Honiton; telegraph office, Hemyock railway station. Acreage, 4588; population of the civil parish, 344; of the ecclesiastical, 287. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £108 with residence. The parish church was built in 1868-69 in the Early English style; it has a good tower and five bells, and a very ancient font. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dunkeswell St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Honiton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Dunkeswell from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Dunkeswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dunkeswell (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of Dunkeswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.