Cockington, a parish in Devonshire, near Tor Bay, 1 mile W of Torquay station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Torquay. Acreage., 1209; population, 1718. Cockington Court is the seat of the Mallock family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £162 with residence. The church is ancienty consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with western embattled tower, and has an ancient carved screen and a very ancient octagonal font. It was restored in 1882-83. There are an iron church and mission hall, a convalescent home for working women, and almshouses. Cockington is rapidly becoming a substantial residential suburb of Torquay.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbot|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cockington from the following:
Online maps of Cockington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.