Churchstow, Devon

Historical Description

Churchstow, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Avon, 2 miles NW by N of Kingsbridge station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Kingsbridge. The parish contains also Venn hamlet and the Kingsbridge workhouse. Acreage, 2803; population. of the civil parish, 390; of the ecclesiastical, including Kingsbridge, 1888. Leigh, an ancient grange-house of the Abbey of Buckfastleigh, with a fine 13th century gateway,. now used as a farmhouse, belonged to the Hayes, the Oldhams, and the Bickfords. The living is a vicarage united with Kingsbridge in the diocese of Exeter; value, £240. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, consists of nave, chancel, north transept, and south aisle, and was restored in 1848 and in 1889.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Devon
Ecclesiastical parish Churchstow St. Mary
Hundred Stanborough
Poor Law union Kingsbridge

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Churchstow


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Churchstow from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Churchstow are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Venn


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.

DistrictSouth Hams
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTQ7
Post TownKingsbridge