Alverdiscott or Alscott, a parish in Devonshire, 4 miles from Bideford station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Bideford, the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2364; population, 269. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £158. The church is old, and has an interesting monument and some very good stained glass, especially in the east window. A small Methodist chapel stands at Stone-Cross.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Alverdiscot All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Torrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
The Description of Alverdiscott from White's Directory and topography of Devonshire, 1878.
We have transcribed the entry for Alverdiscott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Alverdiscot (All Saints))
Online maps of Alverdiscott are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
A part transcript of The Visitations of Devon comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with additions by Lieut-Col J.L. Vivian.