Houghton, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Stanwix and Kingmoor parish, Cumberland. The village lies on an affluent of the river Eden and on the North British railway, adjacent to the Roman wall, 2½ miles N by E of Carlisle. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1841, and has a post office under Carlisle. Population, 888. The Knells, Horton Grange, Honghton House, and Houghton Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £300 with residence. The church was built in 1840, and has a tower. There is an endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Carlisle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Houghton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Houghton are available from a number of sites: