West Looe, Cornwall
Looe, West, a small town in Talland parish, Cornwall, on the W hank of the river Looe, opposite East Looe. It is practically one town with East Looe, communicates immediately with it by the bridge across the river, has the same kind of character as to both site and structure, and shares in its business. Acreage, 152; population, 1011. It has a small church, a neat Congregational chapel, and a Bible Christian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Liskeard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Looe from the following:
Online maps of West Looe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.