Wendron or St Wendron, Cornwall

Historical Description

Wendron or St Wendron, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The church stands 2 miles NNE of Helston station on the G.W.R. Fairs are held on 27 July and 29 September. The parish includes Helston, which has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 13,259; population of the civil parish, 4250; of the ecclesiastical, 1104. Druidical circles are at Carnmenellis and the Nine Maidens. The ruined remains of several ancient chapels are in the neighbourhood, also some old crosses and two holy wells. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £310 with residence. The church is a building of granite in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, has an embattled western tower with five bells, and contains some ancient monuments and effigies. There are Free Methodist, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels. The vicarages of Helston, Carnmenellis, and Pencoys are separate benefices.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Wendron St. Wendron
Hundred Kerrier
Poor Law union Helston

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wendron or St Wendron from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Wendron or St Wendron are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.