Warbstow, Cornwall

Historical Description

Warbstow, a parish in Cornwall, 3½ miles from Tresmeer station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Egloskerry. Acreage, 4151; population of the civil parish, 396; of the ecclesiastical, 546. Warbstow barrow is a large ancient fortification, and has in its centre a mound locally called King Arthur's grave. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Treneglos, in the diocese of Truro; net value, £140. Patron, the Prince of Wales as Duke of Cornwall. The church is in the Early English style, and has an embattled tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Warbstow St. Werburgh
Hundred Lesnewth
Poor Law union Launceston

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Warbstow from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Warbstow are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL15
Post TownLaunceston